Re: random texinfo questions

From: David Petrou
Subject: Re: random texinfo questions
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:46:05 -0400

> Now that you mentioned it, I took a closer look at the generated
> documents.
>
> I noticed that the info file doesn't show the copyright information
> when you view it from info (either the standalone C program of from
> Emacs). The copyright info does show up however in the file, right at
> the beginning, so if you view the file with an editor, you'll see it.
>
> The HTML version doesn't show the copyright info from within the
> @titlepage environment. Of course the one between @ifinfo/@end ifinfo
> will not show up anyway. So the end result is that the HTML version
> doesn't have any explicit copyright notice. I don't care about this
> anyways, since I usually don't want legal notices on Web pages.
>
> The PDF and PS versions show the copyright notice as expected, on the
> second page. This is what I really care about.

you mean dvi version, right?  i thought texinfo outputted dvi and
you'd use other tools to get pdf and ps.

> Personally I like this setup, and I use it for all the Texinfo
> documents I write.

but the texinfo documentation specifies how you'd probably want a
"COPYING" node to appear right before the introduction.  i can't think
of a good reason to NOT have the copyright notice displayed in html
and info.  many gnu manuals do this.  but if you do it, then it seems
you have multiple copyright notices in the printed manual.

> Regards,
> --
> Ovidiu Predescu <address@hidden>

thanks,