Re: Colons in indices

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Colons in indices
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:30:02 +0200 (IST)

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 address@hidden wrote:

>     One problem with these quotations is that you can no longer find
>     these cross references and menu items by searching for the literal
>     node name.
>
> I agree it's a problem, but what's the alternative?

Well, one alternative would be to use a different character instead of a
colon, one that is unlikely to appear in any human-readable text.  For
example, some control character.  As long as we are considering an
incompatible change, why go only half a step?

If we do that, we could mark the Info files which use this new format in
some way, so that the Info reader could detect the new format and switch
to the new method of extracting node names.

> We should consider the other "forbidden" characters in node names at the
> same time.

Yes, clearly.