help-tar

Linux commands I used to backup my Contabo VPS Ubuntu Linux iRedMail Mai

From: Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Subject: Linux commands I used to backup my Contabo VPS Ubuntu Linux iRedMail Mail Server
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 13:00:50 +0800

Subject: Linux commands I used to backup my Contabo VPS Ubuntu Linux
iRedMail Mail Server

Good day from Singapore,

These are the Linux commands I used to backup my Contabo Virtual
Private Server (VPS) Ubuntu Linux iRedMail Mail Server.
Yes, I have a virtual private server in the Federal Republic of Germany.

Detailed instructions follow.

Change directory into the root directory of your Linux server.

# cd /

GNU tar is a backup utility for Linux systems.

# nohup tar -cvpjf backup.tar.bz2 \
--exclude=/backup.tar.bz2 \
--exclude=/nohup.out \
--exclude=/swapfile \
--exclude=/proc \
--exclude=/tmp \
--exclude=/dev \
--exclude=/sys \
--exclude=/run / &

Monitor the progress of the backup job.

# tail -f nohup.out

Check if the backup job has finished/completed.

# ps -ef | grep tar

Check the filesize of your final backup file.

# du -h backup.tar.bz2
2.8G    backup.tar.bz2

On Windows 10, the filesize of my backup file is 2.75 GB.

Rename the backup file so that it is more descriptive.

# mv backup.tar.bz2 contabo-ubuntu-iredmail-24sep2021.tar.bz2

Transfer the backup file *.tar.bz2 to your off-site backup destination.

I chose bz2 over gzip because it has a higher compression, resulting
in a smaller filesize. XZ has an even higher compression but the
compression process is slower than bz2.

Then,

# rm contabo-ubuntu-iredmail-24sep2021.tar.bz2

# rm nohup.out

Reference Guide: BackupYourSystem/TAR
Link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem/TAR

Reference Guide: How to Run Linux Commands in Background
Link: https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-run-linux-commands-in-background/

Information
===========

My Ubuntu Linux server is Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (GNU/Linux
4.15.0-142-generic x86_64). 64-bit platform. Linux Kernel version is
4.15.0-142-generic.

My iRedMail version is 1.4.0.

My iRedAdmin version is 1.3 (MySQL). MySQL is a free and open source
database server.

Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming, 43 years old as of 25 Sep 2021
Saturday, is a TARGETED INDIVIDUAL living in Singapore. He is an IT
Consultant with a System Integrator (SI)/computer firm in Singapore.
He is an IT enthusiast.

-----BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):

[The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of
U.S. Embassy Workers

Link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html

Singaporean Targeted Individual Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's
Academic Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019 and refugee seeking attempts
at the United Nations Refugee Agency Bangkok (21 Mar 2017), in Taiwan
(5 Aug 2019) and Australia (25 Dec 2019 to 9 Jan 2020):

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

-----END EMAIL SIGNATURE-----