help-tar

[Help-tar] GNU Tar 1.30: "File changed as we read it" warning when using

From: Timothy Beryl Grahek
Subject: [Help-tar] GNU Tar 1.30: "File changed as we read it" warning when using --remove-files option
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 10:29:39 -0800

Hello,

I have been using GNU Tar to archive files and find it useful to
remove files as they are put into the archive by using the
--remove-files option. However, when I do this, I notice that I run
into "file changed as we read it" warnings every so often, and it
appears to affect folders mostly or completely. Why does this happen
on some files or folders? Should I be concerned about it? Can I
continue using the --remove-files option without worrying that I will
lose data?

Thank you,

Timothy Beryl Grahek