help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] Trouble with tar -xzf when using --files-from=-

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] Trouble with tar -xzf when using --files-from=-
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 03:32:39 +0200

On 22/10/2015 17:00, Reuti wrote:
Am 22.10.2015 um 16:37 schrieb Reuti <address@hidden>:

Tony:

Am 21.10.2015 um 14:30 schrieb Tony Olekshy <address@hidden>:

Tony Olekshy wrote, on 2015-10-20 at 19:20 MDT:
Hello.

I'm having trouble understanding why I can't pipe the output of a
tar -tzf a.tgz ... through to a tar -xzf a.tgz --files=from=- ...
without producing what appear to be spurious messages. In practice
I want to place a filter in that pipeline to select just what to
extract, but the following script simplifies that out to just show
the problem I'm encountering.