help-tar

[Help-tar] Option to keep files, not to delete

From: Reuti
Subject: [Help-tar] Option to keep files, not to delete
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 11:30:33 +0200

Hi,

I was requested to send part of a tar archive to someone. While I can spot an
option "--delete" to delete members of an archive it raised the question why
there is none to "--keep" files. I mean:

$ gunzip --stdout huge_server.tgz | tar --delete reuti/Documents | gzip >
reuti_extract.tgz

works as expected, to delete all stuff in "reuti/Documents". But I wonder why
there is no "--keep", i.e.:

$ gunzip --stdout huge_server.tgz | tar --keep reuti/Documents | gzip >
reuti_extract.tgz

Sure, I can extract the directory in question and `tar` it again. Or create a
long list of files which should be removed from the archive to keep essentially
"reuti/Documents".

-- Reuti