help-tar

[Help-tar] Extraction performance problem

From: Mark Lehrer
Subject: [Help-tar] Extraction performance problem
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 10:04:51 -0700

Hello, I am running into an extraction speed limitation of around 250MB/sec, and I would like to find a way to improve this. On this test machine it is possible to write at > 1GB/sec.

I haven't yet done a full blktrace analysis yet, but the 250MB/sec speed seems to match other tests I have done with a 512 byte block size. Is it possible to do the equivalent of dd's "obs" option, to increase the output block size to 4k, 64k, or even 1M?

Also, has anyone tried to make a multi-threaded version? I can imagine that the code would be a little bit complicated, but with a huge memory buffer and 8 threads writing it would help quite a bit even with a smaller block size.

Of course, if there are already ways to help or better ideas on how to improve things that would be great.

Thanks,
Mark