help-tar

[Help-tar] Issues with verify

From: toby
Subject: [Help-tar] Issues with verify
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 17:41:18 +0100

Hi,

I have a backup script which backups my system to a LTO tape drive, it has been running fine for years, on ugprading to Centos 6.5 (tar 1.26) I am now getting errors when verifiying.

tar command is :

tar --label="$backuplabel" -cvWf /dev/nst0 $directorieslist

There errors are mainly :

Mode differs
Mod time differs

but also quite a few :

Uid differs

The backup is done on a static directory (it has been rsynced from the main working system) so the mod/mod times etc wont change between writing and verify.

Any ideas what could be causing this or a way to debug how the mode/mod times/uids are different?

I have tested on three different versions of tar (1.20, 1.26 and latest 1.27) all with the same issue.

thanks
Toby