help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] Internal documentation for ".snar" files?

From: Dr Rainer Woitok
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] Internal documentation for ".snar" files?
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 15:43:34 +0100

Sergey,

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 23:51:15 +0200, you wrote:

> It is described in detail in the GNU tar manual, appendix D "Tar
> Internals", subsection "Snapshot Files".

Thanks a lot, this was exactly what I was looking for :-)

However, I think there's a  discrepancy between the documentation and my
test "*.snar"  files, even though  the documentation is meant  for "tar"
version 1.27, but the  first line of my  "*.snar" files is  stating "GNU
tar-1.26-2" (1.26  being  the latest  "tar" version  currently available
under Cygwin).   While the  documentation says  (this is taken from page
204 of the PDF documentation file)

   ā€˜Nā€™ filename was present  in the directory at the time the archive was
      made,  yet it was not dumped to the  archive,  because it  had not
      changed since the last backup.

there are also "N" type records for files which were explicitly excluded
in the "--exclude-from="  file,  regardless  of whether  or not they had
changed since the last backup.  In contrast, I do neither find directory
paths nor type "D" records  for directories  explicitly  excluded in the
"--exclude-from=" file.

So the question is,  who is right,  the documentation or the  "tar" 1.26
binary?

Sincerely
 Rainer