help-tar

[Help-tar] renamed directories and listed-incremental backup

From: Enric Hernandez
Subject: [Help-tar] renamed directories and listed-incremental backup
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:08:39 +0200

Hi,

I'm using GNU tar version 1.20 for executing incremental backups and I'm a
little bit confused with the
following use case so that any help will be very appreciated.

I have the following hierarchy:

dir_1
        dir_1_1
                file_1_1.txt

First, I perform a backup:

tar -cpvzf  tarfile -g snapshot_1

then I change the name of directory "dir_1" to "dir_1_new", and I perform a
new incremental backup.

The problem appears when restoring. The first backup is restored ok, but
when restoring the second, tar cannot rename the directory "dir_1" because
it's not empty.

Is this the expected behaviour? And if so, is there any way to "force" tar
to rename not empty directories?

Thanks in advance!

Enric Hernández