help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] Can't extract - get "Archive contains obsolescent base-64

From: Alexis Huxley
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] Can't extract - get "Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers"
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:35:53 +0100

Hi Jean ..

> So I would invite you to try and remember which settings the drive was
> using when you wrote the archive on the tape in the first place.

I am pretty sure I am using the same settings; i.e. none specified, and
no boot-time 'st' fiddling.

> certainly worth giving a try in your situation. I would try "--format
> v7", "--format oldgnu" and "--format ustar". "ustar" appears in
> the dump, as you might have noticed, so that might be an indication.

Unfortunately they all produced the same results; i.e.:

        dione$ tar tvbf 20 tape.dump --format v7
        drwx------ alexis/alexis     0 2003-08-04 21:49:51 ./
        tar: Skipping to next header
        tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
        dione$

> While you're at it, you should really try to run "file" on the dump
> file you extracted from the tape. That might give you a hint at what
> exactly the format is.

        dione$ file tape.dump
        tape.dump: POSIX tar archive
        dione$

Which fits with the ustar in the dump.

Thanks for the suggestions ... Any others from anyone? Thanks!

Alexis