help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] Problems building tar-1.13.25

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] Problems building tar-1.13.25
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:22:19 +0100 (CET)

Hi Jerry,

> I'm attempting to install tar-1.13.25 as suggested to support my Amanda
> backup software.  The machine is running FreeBSD 4.10.
>
> I ran configure with no problem, but when I tried to build, I got the
> following errors:
> (...)
> backupfile.c:74: conflicting types for `malloc'
> /usr/include/stdlib.h:101: previous declaration of `malloc'
> *** Error code 1
> (...)
> What have I missed here?

As you must know, 1.13.25 is somewhat old. Why wouldn't you use a more
recent version of GNU tar? Maybe the problem is already fixed in 1.14,
1.14.90 or 1.15.1.

If you insist on using 1.13.25, you could try and forcibly define
HAVE_DECL_MALLOC=1 in config.h and see if it helps. That said, if the
configure script got it wrong in the first place, you are likely to run
into a variety of other problems after that.

--
Jean Delvare