help-stow

Re: [Help-stow] FYI: a couple of stow extensions/alternatives

From: balducci
Subject: Re: [Help-stow] FYI: a couple of stow extensions/alternatives
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2019 16:12:59 +0200

hello

my 5 cents, as an end user

> This looks like an effort to turn Stow into a more fully-blown package
> manager.  Personally I do not believe there is a good future for Stow
> in this direction, because there are already several package managers
> out there which already do this job very well, e.g. rpm and dpkg.
> I've also heard very good things about Nix and GNU Guix but not looked
> at them personally.
>
> This is the reason why I changed Stow's web page and manuals to
> relabel Stow as a "symlink farm manager", because its scope is clearly
> limited to that.  That new description encompasses other use cases
> for which Stow has been popular for years, such as managing dot files
> in user home directories.

I have always appreciated the simplicity of stow: in my opinion that is
one of its great advantages (no deps, written in an interpreted
language)

And yes, pushing stow into a package manager would be
inappropriate, for the reasons mentioned above

As many other unix tools, I've always considered stow as a great tool,
which makes the hard and dirty job, but leaves room for the user to
integrate it smoothly into his own environment and everyday workflow

I vote for stow as is and thank you very much its maintainer for the
valuable work

ciao
gabriele