help-stow

Re: [Help-stow] chkstow not showing list of packages

From: James Jong
Subject: Re: [Help-stow] chkstow not showing list of packages
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:09:01 -0400

I just tried starting from scratch with a new target directory called stow, and here is what I noticed:

> chkstow --list
outputs nothing
> chkstow -t /home/james/opt/stow # This is my stow dir
outputs only files within folders actually living in the stow directory, but not folders than I have symlinked.

Somehow chkstow is unable to identify packages that I have stowed and that live as symlinks in the stow dir (even though stowing and unstowing them works well)

James

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 4:01 AM, Adam Spiers <address@hidden> wrote:
[ordering reversed; please don't top-post]

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 02:15:04PM -0400, James Jong wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM, James Jong <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I have the following setup in my .stowrc file:
> >
> > --dir=/home/james/opt/stow_all/stow_storage
> > --target=/home/james/opt/stow_all/stow_appear
> > --ignore='~'
> > --ignore='^CVS'
> >
> > and I have successfully stowed two packages under my target path.
> >
> > However, when I try:
> > > chkstow --list
> > or
> > > chkstow -l
> > or
> > > chkstow -t /home/james/opt/stow_all/stow_appear --list
> >
> > I get nothing. Wasn't this command supposed to show the packages that I
> > have installed? Any thoughts on why I get nothing?
> >
> > Thanks again for providing this great tool to the community. As we move
> > back to time-shared systems/supercomputers and people lose admin rights to
> > these systems, installing to local installations is increasingly becoming
> > more common, and Stow is a perfect fit for this,
>
> I wonder if the reason why chkstow isn't working is because I am using
> symlinks to populate my stow dir ? (see my other question:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-stow/2013-04/msg00006.html)

Possibly - you could reduce it to test cases with and without symlinks
to determine this (please share the results if you do).

However, it looks much more likely that this is due to chkstow being
an ugly hack:

    # just list the packages in the the target directory
    # FIXME: what if the stow dir is not called 'stow'?
    sub list {
        if (-l) {
            $_ = readlink;
            $Package{$_} = 1;