help-smalltalk

Gnu Smalltalk on macOS Monterey 12.6.3

From: Werner Heigl
Subject: Gnu Smalltalk on macOS Monterey 12.6.3
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 09:54:53 -0600

Dear all,

Over the past two weeks I have been trying to get gst-blox or gst-browser to
work without success. I have given up on gst-browser because I can’t find
libgtk2-dev for the Mac. Besides, Tk gives me the Mac look-and-feel.

Running get-blox from the terminal seems to work, at least I can see an entry
in the menu bar at the top of the screen. The ‘About’ window works and looks
very nice:

Trying to open any of the top three menu items in the ’Smalltalk’ menu doesn’t
do anything. Issuing a ‘Smalltalk—>File in…’ results in this error:

Object: nil error: did not understand #rootView
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>signal (ExcHandling.st:254)
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #rootView (SysExcept.st:1408)
BLOX.BLOXBrowser.Prompter class>>openFileName:default:in:
(BLOXBrowser.star#VFS.ZipFile/ModalDialog.st:108)
BLOX.BLOXBrowser.BrowserMain class>>fileIn
(BLOXBrowser.star#VFS.ZipFile/BrowserMain.st:139)
DirectedMessage(Message)>>sendTo: (Message.st:113)
DirectedMessage>>send (DirMessage.st:95)
BLOX.BMenuItem(BLOX.BMenuObject)>>invokeCallback
(BloxTK.star#VFS.ZipFile/BloxBasic.st:2995)

In general, gst-blox keeps the CPU load high for some reason.

I think that Gnu Smalltalk is really good and it would be a pity if it goes
stale. And without the browser you kind of miss the Smalltalk experience, all
the while the competition has it working on all major platforms.

I’m willing to help but would need some pointers on where to start looking. And
if anyone has managed to get the GUI stuff working on a Mac please let me know.

Thank you,

Werner Heigl