help-smalltalk

Re: configure option not to build gst-browser ?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: configure option not to build gst-browser ?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 12:38:14 +0100 (CET)

Bill,

Holger Freyther mentionned something of a "deadlock" regarding
VisualGST/gst-browser.

I can only say that I think GNU smalltalk is valuable even without
VisualGST/gst-browser.

Actually I suspect that users of GNU smalltalk tend to use the CLI,
and not the browser, because for browser oriented Smalltalk dialects,
there are many other choices.

The idea of GNU Smalltalk seems more oriented towards emacs/and plain old unix
command line.

If the release of 3.3 or 3.2.6 depends on VisualGST, I'd say that an option to
not build gst-browser,
could potentially solve this.

The option --enable-gtk=no is already doing this to some extent, but it still
provides gst-browser/gst-blox,
it would be nice if this could be suppressed.

By the way, the gst-browser works also on GNOME 3 based Solaris 11.4 :

   3.2.91 on Solaris 11.4 (with GNOME 3) works
   3.2.91 on Solaris 11.3 (with GNOME 2) works

On Solaris 11.4 I have the libcanberra but it seems they ship both version for
gtk3 and older:

usr/lib/amd64/libcanberra-gtk.so
usr/lib/amd64/libcanberra-gtk3.so

So I believe that the way it works on Solaris 11.4 could be due to
compatibility libraries for GNOME-2.

It loads the libcanberra-gtk and not the libcanberra-gtk3 :

-bash-5.0$ pldd  2072 | grep libcan
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so
/usr/lib/libcanberra-gtk.so.0.1.9
/usr/lib/libcanberra.so.0.2.5