help-smalltalk

Re: display _ as left arrow (was Re: Help on sending a UDP Packet)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: display _ as left arrow (was Re: Help on sending a UDP Packet)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 20:35:55 +0100 (CET)

----- Op 12 jan 2021 om 20:15 schreef help-smalltalk help-smalltalk@gnu.org:

> I tried that, and it is not as nice as one would think. It is not
> highlighted as an operator for one.

OK.  But you mean emacs is not seeing _ as operator, if I understand correctly.

GNU smalltalk supports _ as operator, and it works fine.

> Smalltalk does not allow a leading underscore for variable names because
> of this usage of underscore. In many other languages there is a
> convention of using leading underscore to mean something, like to
> supress warning of unused variables. Many people including me like the
> visual cue it provides.

Except when you switch to a font that uses a "legacy" encoding,
where _ is displayed as a left arrow.  In that case, those variables,
with underscores in them, look weird.

They look weird because they contain left arrows.

My understanding is also that the GNU smalltalk manual also warns against
using _ in variable names as it may lead to portability problems.