help-smalltalk

Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk 3.3 & VisualGST

From: Quenio dos Santos
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk 3.3 & VisualGST
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 21:25:32 -0300

Hello Holger,

Thanks for your reply.

I installed GNU Smalltalk like this:

$ brew install gnu-smalltalk

I then started using the “gst” command normally, without any issues. But
eventually I tried to execute VisualGST like this:

$ gst-browser

And got the following error:

Object: PackageLoader class error: Invalid argument Cairo: package not found
SystemExceptions.PackageNotAvailable(Exception)>>signal (ExcHandling.st:254)
SystemExceptions.PackageNotAvailable(Exception)>>signal:
(ExcHandling.st:264)
SystemExceptions.PackageNotAvailable class(SystemExceptions.NotFound
class)>>signalOn:what: (SysExcept.st:731)
SystemExceptions.PackageNotAvailable class>>signal: (PkgLoader.st:57)
optimized [] in PackageLoader class>>fileInPackages: (PkgLoader.st:1965)
[] in
Kernel.PackageDirectories(Kernel.PackageGroup)>>extractDependenciesFor:ifMissing:
(PkgLoader.st:165)
Kernel.PackageDirectories>>at:ifAbsent: (PkgLoader.st:236)
[] in
Kernel.PackageDirectories(Kernel.PackageGroup)>>extractDependenciesFor:ifMissing:
(PkgLoader.st:165)
Set(HashedCollection)>>do: (HashedColl.st:201)
Kernel.PackageDirectories(Kernel.PackageGroup)>>extractDependenciesFor:ifMissing:
(PkgLoader.st:160)
PackageLoader class>>fileInPackages: (PkgLoader.st:1964)
PackageLoader class>>fileInPackage: (PkgLoader.st:1954)
Package(Kernel.PackageInfo)>>fileIn (PkgLoader.st:493)
optimized [] in UndefinedObject>>executeStatements
(/usr/local/Cellar/gnu-smalltalk/3.2.5_8/share/smalltalk/scripts/Load.st:125)
OrderedCollection>>do: (OrderColl.st:67)
[] in UndefinedObject>>executeStatements
(/usr/local/Cellar/gnu-smalltalk/3.2.5_8/share/smalltalk/scripts/Load.st:124)
[] in BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed: (BlkClosure.st:286)
BlockClosure>>ensure: (BlkClosure.st:268)
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed: (BlkClosure.st:273)
UndefinedObject>>executeStatements
(/usr/local/Cellar/gnu-smalltalk/3.2.5_8/share/smalltalk/scripts/Load.st:114)

I also noticed that I don't have the "cairo" package in my local system:

$ ls /usr/local/share/smalltalk
Announcements.star LibSDL_image.star VFSAddOns.star
BLOXBrowser.star LibSDL_mixer.star VisualGST.star
CParser.star LibSDL_ttf.star WebServer.star
ClassPublisher.star Magritte-Seaside.star XML-DOM.star
Compiler.star Magritte.star XML-Expat.star
Complex.star NCurses.star XML-ParserTests.star
Continuations.star NetClients.star XML-PullParser.star
DBD-MySQL.star OpenGL.star XML-SAXDriver.star
DBD-PostgreSQL.star Parser.star XML-SAXParser.star
DBD-SQLite.star ProfileTools.star XML-XMLNodeBuilder.star
DBI.star ROE.star XML-XMLParser.star
DebugTools.star SUnit.star XPath.star
DhbNumericalMethods.star SandstoneDb.star XSL.star
Digest.star Seaside-Core.star ZLib.star
GDBM.star Seaside-Development.star examples
GNUPlot.star Seaside-Examples.star kernel
Glorp.star Seaside.star packages.xml
I18N.star Sockets.star scripts
Iconv.star Sport.star unsupported
Java.star Swazoo.star

I tried to download the "cairo" package:

$ gst-package --download cairo
gst-package: expected packages tag

But it didn't seem to have any effect.

Thanks for your help,