help-smalltalk

Re: [Help-smalltalk] Single-step debugging, Semaphore and thread-schedul

From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Single-step debugging, Semaphore and thread-scheduling
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 02:16:12 +0200

On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 12:40:13PM +0200, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> Any ideas for a short-term fix? I would love to release v3.3 of GST
> but the VisualGST debugger is breaking in way too simple ways right
> now.

VisualGST.GtkDebugger extend [
    debugWith: aBlock [
        <category: 'execute events'>

        TaskQueue uniqueInstance add: [
            self isLastContextSelected ifFalse: [ self stepToSelectedContext ].
            aBlock value.
            debugger suspendedContext ifNotNil: [
                (debugger suspendedContext method =
(Object>>#removeToBeFinalized))
                    ifTrue: [debugger finish]].
            self updateContextWidget ]
    ]
]

This would be my proposal. Determine some methods we can not support in
single-step mode and then just skip them. Right now this would be the
addToBeFinalized/removeToBeFinalized as the Glib/Gtk code is using them
internally. Same probably goes for the Transcript>>#critical: if the
rest of the code would go through "self critical:" instead of "semaphore
criticial".

Comments on the work-around?