help-smalltalk

Re: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad: LTR vs RTL

From: Stefan Schmiedl
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad: LTR vs RTL
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 15:58:42 +0200

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:30:18 +0300
Bèrto ëd Sèra <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Before I start reinventing the wheel, is there any consolidated way to

hehe ... sorry. Iliad itself is only slowly consolidating, as the recent
introduction of the head shows. Just like the rest of us, you might end
up being the one who's planting the seed of something that could become
a "best practice".

> switch between Right-to-Left and Left-to-Right layouts (as in English
> vs Arabic) in Iliad? I have more problems in this area, but the only
> urgent one is this.
>
> Our users may change UI language at any time, so (to remain within
> Joachim Jaeckel's structure) I need to switch css in #pageUpdate AND
> to change the layout in #pageTemplate, depending on the layout chosen
> in the session.

If the instructions within the contents method (which is what I assume
you're referring to) depend on session properties, parametrize it by
using one of several builders.

  Object
    PageBuilderForMyApp
      LTRBuilderForMyApp
      RTLBuilderForMyApp
      TopDownBuilderForMyApp
      ScreenReaderUsableBuilderForMyApp

You could set up a LookupTable mapping language to builder class and then
use something akin to

  content [
    ^ [ :e |  self builderClass buildOn: e  ]
  ]

Later,
s.