help-smalltalk

Re: [Help-smalltalk] [RFC] handle paths in a saner way

From: Mike Anderson
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] [RFC] handle paths in a saner way
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 23:54:35 +0000

Paolo Bonzini wrote:

>> Also, why XML, when we don't even have an XML parser in the standard
>> libraries? (OK, I know I've said that before).
>
> Just because.  XML is easily extensible (remember when we added
> <namespace> to packages.xml) and any other syntax would not be much
> easier to parse (e.g. JSON).
>
> The obvious exception may be Smalltalk code, but in the case of ZIP
> files I mentioned above, one may not want to evaluate user code lightly
> if they care about security.

The thing is, XML is not that easy to parse, and, in fact, packages.xml
is not parsed properly - the parsing is done line by line, and can't
handle comments. What's really spurring this mini-rant is that I've been
looking for a decent XML editor recently, and there aren't any. That
tells you something.

Mike