help-serveez

Re: [help-serveez] Thread safety

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: Re: [help-serveez] Thread safety
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 23:11:57 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, stefan wrote:

evening folks!

> As I already stated:  If ever -> then a wrapper API, because this what
> Serveez is mostly about: system independence.
>
> Raimi:  What do you think about that?

this is a real tough one.

one the one hand the wrapper API thing is what serveez is doing for about
everything else. implementing those wrappers would be quite serveez-like.

on the other hand, serveez is not actually multi-threaded even when being
thread safe at some points). so those threading stuff is not part of the
serveez core api (since that one is about networking).

i tend more to --enable-some-threadsafe-functions (definitly
--enable-threads, because that's not true) and then use pthreads. pthreads
is the way to go for multithreading and multithreaded systems without
pthreads are not supported. i agree with rotty that there are probably
none of them, anyway.

the one thing that could change my mind is windoze: if there is no
pthreads for windoze (not even from some 3rd party library) then those
wrapper functions should be implemented.

stefan: serveez is a big wrapper api for networking. making it a wrapper
for threads and file io and whatnot would make it become a little OS. i
dont want to go for that.

mmh.

all: please try to convince me of something. i am still a bit uncertain.

Bye,
    Raimi

--