help-serveez

[help-serveez] Debian pkgs in unstable, build success & failure

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: [help-serveez] Debian pkgs in unstable, build success & failure
Date: 27 Nov 2002 21:14:01 +0100

Hi!

I am glad to announce that my Serveez Debian packages have reached the
unstable distribution (sid), so Serveez will be part of the next
'stable' release of Debian (sarge).

The rest of this mail will be mostly of interest to the Serveez
developers, so users: you can skip this.

The packages have been built sucessfully on the following Debian
architectures (bless the autobuilders ;-):

* alpha, s390, hppa, powerpc, sparc, arm, i64, m86k

These architectures can be added to the PLATFORMS list, i guess.

Building failed on mips and mipsel, due to something that looks like a
libtool error/misuse:

In src/libserveez/Makefile.am:

libserveez_la_LDFLAGS = -export-dynamic -no-undefined -release @VERSION@

>From the libtool manual (Link mode):

<quote>
`-no-undefined'
     Declare that OUTPUT-FILE does not depend on any other libraries.
     Some platforms cannot create shared libraries that depend on other
     libraries (*note Inter-library dependencies::).
</quit>

It seems this is not what is intended, since libserveez links against
libbz2 and libz. The build log states this, too:

----------<snip>---------
bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2  -o libserveez.la -rpath /usr/lib
-export-dynamic -no-undefined -release 0.1.4 alloc.lo util.lo snprintf.lo
hash.lo sparsevec.lo tcp-socket.lo pipe-socket.lo udp-socket.lo icmp-socket.lo
raw-socket.lo server-core.lo server-loop.lo windoze.lo boot.lo server.lo
server-socket.lo interface.lo dynload.lo vector.lo core.lo socket.lo array.lo
portcfg.lo binding.lo passthrough.lo coserver/libcoserver.la codec/libcodec.la
 -ldl
rm -fr .libs/libserveez.la .libs/libserveez.* .libs/libserveez-0.1.4.*

*** Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by -lz.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
----------</snip>---------

As a consequence the build fails, since there is no shared lib produced.

You can find this build log at [0] and all build attemts of serveez at
[1]. However, note that only the newest revision (serveez-0.1.4-2) is
relevant.

[0]
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=serveez&ver=0.1.4-2&arch=mips&stamp=1038234652&file=log&as=raw
[1] http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?arch=&pkg=serveez