Re: coloring rcsdiff output

From: Colin Brough
Subject: Re: coloring rcsdiff output
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 16:02:40 +0000

On 13/11/2018 10:30, gregory guy wrote:
Hi,

I've been struggling for some time to get a colorized output in ma console with rcsdiff, does anyone know a way to do that?

It's so much easier to read the differences in a file when there's colors.

Can this be implemented in a next release too?

To do something similar using a graphical diff program, I have a
script which wraps round the other RCS tools to achieve what I what.
Since there is a 'colordiff' program out there, you could do the same.

My script is below - the graphical diff is 'meld', so just replace
that with 'colordiff' and you'll be a good bit of the way there...

Not polished, not perfect, but works for me.....

HTH

Colin

#!/bin/bash -
# rcsmeld       Script to do visual diff on RCS files, diffing from a
#               previous version.

VERSION=''

if [ $# -eq 1 ]
then
    FILE=$1
elif [ $# -eq 2 ]
then
    FILE=$2
    VERSION=$1
else
    echo "Usage: rcsmeld [ Version ] File"
    exit 0
fi

# This bit allows there to be more than one instance of rcsmeld
# running in a directory at a time. The while loop finds the first
# .xxdiff file that doesn't already exist, then uses it.

i=1
TARGET=.xxdiff$i
while [ -f $TARGET ]
do
    i=$[ $i + 1 ]
    TARGET=.xxdiff$i
done

# Now actually get the previous version and compare it to the current
# version, and clean up afterwards.

co -p$VERSION $FILE > $TARGET

meld $FILE $TARGET

rm -f $TARGET