Re: Cross Compiling RCS

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Cross Compiling RCS
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 11:06:49 +0200

() Derek McEachern <address@hidden>
() Mon, 6 May 2013 10:32:23 -0500

   Sorry it's been a couple days getting back to you.

No worries; i'm pretty slow, myself.

   I've been playing with this some more since user vetting has not
   happened.  However, I started playing around myself and found a
   problem.

In case you are still interested, GNU RCS 5.9.0 (released 2013-05-06)
has proper support for cross compilation in the configure script.  Here
is an excerpt from its top-level README:

cross-compilation
=================

There are several variables set by the configure script that are assigned
"pessimistic" defaults when cross-compiling (info "(autoconf) Runtime"):

 (variable)                (value)
  rcs_cv_tinyinit_ok        no
  rcs_cv_fopen_truncates    no
  rcs_cv_wac_ok             no
  rcs_cv_unlink_mw_ok       no
  rcs_cv_rename_mw          hopeless
  rcs_cv_sane_mmap          no
  rcs_cv_mmap_signal        unknown
  rcs_cv_tolerant_wait      no

To set the "correct" value for a particular VAR, overriding its default, you
can specify VAR=VALUE on the configure script command-line.  For example:

 ./configure \
    rcs_cv_tinyinit_ok=yes \
    rcs_cv_unlink_mw_ok=no

Note that the value of ‘rcs_cv_mmap_signal’ has meaning only if
‘rcs_cv_sane_mmap’ is ‘yes’.  Valid values are documented only in the
configure script source, i.e., configure.ac -- don't guess, use the Source!

If you get good results cross-compiling, with or without such variable
overrides, please consider sharing the good news by posting the configure
script invocation to the bug-report address with subject "cross-compilation
success" or similar.

If you get a chance to try out 5.9.0, i would be very interested in
hearing of any problems you might encounter, as well as suggestions on
improving the README text.

   [config.status.gz]

Thanks.  FWIW, that file looks relatively normal to me.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
GPG key: 4C807502