Re: Cross Compiling RCS

From: Derek McEachern
Subject: Re: Cross Compiling RCS
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 10:32:23 -0500

Sorry it's been a couple days getting back to you. I've been playing with this some more since user vetting has not happened. However, I started playing around myself and found a problem.

A little history for context. I'm trying to compile a bundle of both GNU diffutils and rcs to run out of /opt/rcs. The first thing I did was cross compile diffutils which appears to work without any problems. Once I got past the original issues in the configure script is when I noticed that internally rcs was still trying to use /usr/bin/diff and /usr/bin/diff3. I set the DIFF and DIFF3 environment variables but it was still using /usr/bin/diff.

The reason for this is that the configure script tries to find a sane diff. It first checks the environment variable DIFF which in my case points to a cross compiled version so it's going to fail since it's not executable on my platform. It then defaults to /usr/bin/diff since that is a sane version in my environment.

I spent all kinds of time messing with the configure.ac file and I may have worked around this but I've made some assumptions in doing so.
-If cross-compile is possible then DIFF and DIFF3 must be set as environment variables, it will error if not.
-If cross-compile is possible then assume that DIFF and DIFF3 are GNU diffutils, are sane, and have all features.

I've attached the configure.status file. I can also send the configure.ac changes if needed.