Re: FW: Question Regarding RCS

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: FW: Question Regarding RCS
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 16:03:07 -0700

Cannon, Alastair, VF UK, Partner wrote:
> I may be barking up the wrong tree here but depending on your Unix
> OS/flavour there *was* a 2 gig limit on files in HPUX.

Well, yes, all of the traditional old 32-bit systems previously could
not hold files larger than 2G because of the 32-bit signed integer
size limitation.  It really isn't HP-UX in particular.  But talking
about HP-UX 10.20 in particular last updated in 1996 introduced large
file support.  All releases since have supported it.  But the program
must be compiled with "-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" in order to enable it.
(Because changing the default could break some older programs that
were not expecting a 64-bit off_t type.)

Bob