Re: Compiling GNU-RCS on Windows

From: Sunny
Subject: Re: Compiling GNU-RCS on Windows
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 15:52:47 +0200

Hi Hugh,

Thank you for your response. Maybe I should explain why I needed to know how to compile GNU-RCS on Windows. I am currently using CS-RCS front-end on Windows and CVS on Linux for accessing the RCS repository running on a Windows system. The problem I am encountering is that when I when I check-in a file with an underscore(_), tilde(~), or dash(-) using CVS, CS-RCS is display an error message when I try to view it on CS-RCS.
The displayed error is as follows:
            file-name,v - unknown character `-'
                         or
            file_name,v - unknown character `_'
                         or
            filename~,v - unknown character `~',
depending on the character in the file name.
I then traced the "unknown character" in the RCS source code and find it the rcslex.c file. Inside a switch statement on line 573 and 574, there's cases for COLON, DIGIT, LETTER, Letter, PERIOD and SPACE, but not for IDCHAR. Sincer '_', '~' and '-' are all grouped as IDCHAR, and IDCHAR is missing from those case statements, I thought it could be the problem. So, I wanted to be able to compile and test it first to confirm my assumption before reporting it as a bug if it is a bug, that's why I needed to find out if someone had compile RCS in Windows before.

Just to explain the problem a bit further, using CS-RCS on its own is not a problem, file names with the mentioned characters can be checked-in and out without any problems. Also, using CVS on its own is not a problem, checking in and out works fine, in fact CVS does show any problems at all. If a file is added using CS-RCS, checked-out using CVS and checked-in using CVS, CS-RCS gives the error message. If a file is imported for the first time using CVS, CS-RCS doesn't have a problem, only when the file is checked-in using CVS then CS-RCS gives the error message.

Your help will be appreciated

Sunny