Re: Query with respect to RCS

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Query with respect to RCS
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 17:30:02 -0600

Mathews, Shane wrote:
> I am a developer and we have recently started using RCS as our
> version control tool.

I have used rcs for many years.  I am still using it.  But it seems
very strange for someone to *start* using rcs these days.  We have
learned so much about version control in the decades since rcs was
created that today I recommend one of the newer changeset based tools.

> I was wondering whether there was any command/switch that could help
> identify the current version of the file contained in the RCS
> repository. I know that performing the "co" command against the
> file, reveals the current version. But is there any command that
> specifically returns only the information of the current version of
> the file.

Look at the rlog command.  The following will produce the version on
the head branch of the file.

  rlog -h file,v | awk '/^head:/{print$NF}'

> This communication is the property of Qwest and may contain confidential or
> privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly
> prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication
> in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy
> all copies of the communication and any attachments.

These types of disclaimers are not appreciated by most people on the
net.  You sent your message to a public discussion and it has been
archived to many different public archives.  If your company makes
this unavoidable then please use one of the many free email services
available on the net.

  http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

Bob

Disclaimer:
By sending an email to any of my addresses you are agreeing that: a) I
am by definition, "the intended recipient".  b) All information in the
email is mine to do with as I see fit and make such financial profit,
political mileage, or good joke as I decide. In particular, I may
quote it.  c) This overrides any disclaimer or statement of
confidentiality that may be included on your message.