Re: Permissions in $RCSHOME

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Permissions in $RCSHOME
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 13:24:34 -0700

"Cannon, Alastair, VF UK, Partner" <address@hidden> writes:

> Should the ,v files in the repository all be owned by the same (possibly
> admin??) account/uid?

It's typical, but not necessary.

> Should they all have a particular permission set on them - say

r--r--r-- and r-xr-xr-x are the most popular permissions in practice.
More-paranoid sites can omit permissions to other and group, or use
ACLs.

> Is there a definite disadvantage to having many different
> permissions/ownerships of the dirs/,v files in the repository. I am
> thinking about both data integrity *and* security.

It depends on your security policy.  But I suggest keeping things simple.

Also, take care to have appropriate permissions on the directories
containing the ,v files.