advise on the result on the this rcs scenario

From: Mark Cooke
Subject: advise on the result on the this rcs scenario
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:56:36 +0000

Hi,

Can someone please let me know if my interpretation of this is correct, my boss my set-up an rcs repository at work and after countless conversations, I feel that his needs would be better suited to using to cvs, rather than rcs.

Here's the scenario:

We have a central rcs repository, this is exported via a windows shared to each workstation, as the company doesn't want to install a web server on each machine and does not want every developer to checkout the files to a working directory on their local machine, they are making everyone use the same webroot (again exported via shares to each workstation) to develop on.
This happens to be on the same server as the repository.
So each person has had to checkout all the websites to this webroot share (yes they are all checking it out the the same location).

Every developer must lock the file, do the changes then check the file back in, whilst this way of working is a little strange, it seems to work. So in theory we do not ever need to update the the working directory, as we are all working on the same file, in the same directory.

Here's the dilemma, we now have one college works from home twice a week, he copies all the sites he will be working on to a cd, takes them home and does his changes on them. In the mean time we are busy back at work and may change some of the files he took home.
We do the usual check then out, lock, edit, check in.

Now here comes the problem, my boss is convinced that when my work college comes back on Monday, he can checkout the webroot version of the files he has been working on, and copy his files over the top, check them back in and it will commit his changes, *without* messing/loosing up changes.

If I'm correct the only way to avoid disaster, is for his to check out and lock the webroot version, do a manual diff against his version and manually commit the changes, then check them back in, this will keep all the changes.

Sorry if this sounds a bit muddled..

All I'm realy after, if confirmation that my result and resolution (for this scenario) is correct. Yes I know this set-up is asking for disaster, but the boss set it up and will not alter it, but I feel that we should be using cvs instead.