Re: Downloading & Installing FFTW in Octave

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Downloading & Installing FFTW in Octave
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 11:10:14 +0900

On 4/13/21 9:01 AM, Samuel Doughty wrote:
I am working on a Win10 HP Z210 computer with 64 bit operating system. I have the document "A Short Tutorial on the Basic Usage of the Package FFTW3" by Figueras. Section 1.1 of that document is titled "Getting and Installing FFTW3."

As directed, I went to the site ftp.fftw.org <http://ftp.fftw.org> where I was offered the opportunity to download the file for Windows 10 which I did. My computer indicates that a 4.0 MB file was downloaded, fftw-3.3.9.tar.gz.

The next step says to decompress this file, but I do not see any option to do that. What do I need to do at this point? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Octave for MS Windows already provides a compiled FFTW library [1]

<Octave Installation Dir>\mingw64\lib\libfftw3.dll (and others)

If you plan to use it in conjunction with Octave, using that one seems to be a reasonable choice.

In case you need a more special setup, please consult the FFTW community [2].

HTH,
Kai

[1] https://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave/file/tip/src/fftw.mk
[2] http://www.fftw.org/faq/section2.html#runOnWindows