Re: Octave multi threading.

From: Ilaya Bharathi
Subject: Re: Octave multi threading.
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 15:50:31 +0530

Hi Kai,

I'm using Windows 10 operating system with 2 physical cores and 4 logical cores. I have a few questions as follows.

  1. Does Open blas support the Windows Operating system? and if so, can you please provide me with the official link to download it and the instructions to install and configure it properly. Please advise.
  2. Can we configure the Open blas with Octave 5.2.0 or any other versions of Octave ?
  3. Apart from the above questions, I want to know what is a parallel computing or parallel execution package for Octave. Are they similar to Open Blas ? and what platform do they support ?
Waiting for your reply.

Best regards
Ilaya bharathi

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 8:11 PM Kai Torben Ohlhus <k.ohlhus@gmail.com> wrote:
On 6/18/20 10:44 PM, Ilaya Bharathi wrote:
> Hi team,
>
> I'm looking for an Octave release which will utilize multiple cores of
> processors at a same time during heavy operations rather than a single
> core.
>
> If there is any release of octave or any add on libraries that fulfill
> my expectation, Please let me know. Waiting for your reply.
>
> Many thanks
> Ilaya bharathi

What kind of heavy operations do you perform?  For example if you solve
large linear systems, x = A \ b;, you should make sure that you use a
(Open-)BLAS version that supports multiple threads with your Octave
installation.

If you run custom Octave code (m-files), you might be able to
parallelize tasks by using the Octave Forge (OF) parallel [1] or ocs [2]
package.

Additionally, it is helpful to know some details about your system to
give more precise advice.

Personally, I run a custom Singularity Octave image [3] on a cluster of
a few machines (each system has 28 cores [56 threads]) that really makes
use of all given resources for linear-algebra operations.  It can be
combined with the aforementioned OF packages at low installation effort.

HTH,
Kai

[1] https://octave.sourceforge.io/parallel/
[2] https://octave.sourceforge.io/ocl/