Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 10:58:25 -0400

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 10:11 AM sherin <tshering.lhamo@msitprogram.net> wrote:

> I am new to octave gui. I installed octave using homebrew and looks it it
> works fine on cli. I want to edit some .m files in using built-in editor and
> like to pull editor pane at the bottom of the window together with command
> window but could not succeed. Please help.
>
> <https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t373863/Screenshot_2020-09-14_at_4.png>

from your screenshot it looks like you're trying to use 'load' to open
the file for editing?  use "edit"  unstead.  Just typing edit should
launch the edit window if it's not already open.  "edit <filename>"
should open that file for editing.

whether or not teh editor is anchored to the gui or free floating
depends on the current window settings. At least in the Windows
version, one of the tabs in the main window would be Editor (you show
only Command Window, Documentation, and Variable Editor).  When you
use the edit command, you may find that the window appears either
docked in the GUI or free floating as a separate window.  If docked,
when visible there should be an Undock Widget button at the upper
right corner of the Editor pane.

You can always try the menu option Window / Reset Default Window
Layout.  this should put the editor back as a tab with the Command
Window, etc., after which you can move it around however you wish.