Re: How Tune PID in octave using Frequency Response data

From: Torsten Lilge
Subject: Re: How Tune PID in octave using Frequency Response data
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 19:20:24 +0200

On Fri, 2020-07-24 at 08:31 -0500, shall689 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the frequency response data of a plant. What steps would I take
> tune a PID in octave?
>
> Thanks,
> Stephen

Hello Stephen,

Besides considering the stability margins with nyquist(), bode() or
margin(), you can also consider the following tools/methods from the
control package:

 * optiPID to tune the PID controller based on an integral optimization
   criteria
 * rlocus() to plot the root locus for the closed loop depending on the
   open loop gain
 * rlocusx(), newly added to the control packages (but not yet in the
   released version), which allows to get resulting controller gains for
   specific root locations and plot related open loop bode, nyquist and
   margin plots together with the step response of the closed loop

Best
Torsten