Re: Documentation for OctaveGUI

From: N
Subject: Re: Documentation for OctaveGUI
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 10:42:16 +0200

> On 7/13/20 3:41 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> > Both Octave and MATLAB (that octave aims to be compatible with) are
> > primarily command line tools and scripting languages. The GUI is
> > mainly there for some supporting functions like file navigation,
> > command history, variable tracking, etc.
> >
> > Perhaps you could let us know what functions and capabilities you
> > would like better described and we could either point you to that help
> > if it exists, or maybe take a note to develop that documentation if it
> > doesn't.
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 13, 2020, 5:22 PM Gary L. Roach
> > <garyroach719.lists@gmail.com <mailto:garyroach719.lists@gmail.com>>
> > wrote:
> >
> >     Hi all;
> >
> >     My first post. I can't seem to find a comprehensive coverage of
> >     the use
> >     of the OctaveGUI. Most of the documentation seems to be more
> >     focused on
> >     the command line. Command line may be more efficient but is not
> >     the best
> >     for the occasional user.Can anyone point me in the right direction?
> >
> >     Gary R.
> >

> I guess that I want to make a library of physical constants that I can
> pull into my calculations as needed. I would also like to be able to
> format my calculations in such a way that I can print out notes in a
> near finished form. Most of my uses will be doing a series of
> interconnected calculations along with notes. Am I looking at the wrong
> software? It has been years since i have used MatLab but seem to
> remember that it had this capability.
>
> Also, how do you do subscripts and superscrips in Tex.

Superscript ^ and subscript _ and ^{supescripted} _{subscripted} if there are
more characters.

Texmacs is the best technical editor I have ever seen, it could link content to
a file and you could use Octave to write this content to a file. Do not think
Texmacs could link output from Octave function calls but in such case there
should be no need to store in intermediate files and values could be collected
in one file using object oriented programming. Texmacs could also export to
LaTeX which may be a better alternative if documents should be updated
automatically.

Nicklas Karlsson