Re: Octave 5.1 and 5.2 crashing on Windows 10

From: Kwan Lowe
Subject: Re: Octave 5.1 and 5.2 crashing on Windows 10
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 20:50:28 -0600

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 4:20 PM John Frain <address@hidden> wrote:

> Has any other user detected the following problem or perhaps know of a
> solution?
>
> I am running Windows 10 1909 64-bit.

I just tested this also on a brand new Windows 10 1909/64-bit system.
Just took it out of the box today.

Octave installed without error (except for a note about missing Java).
On launch, I get the following errors:

"Could not copy help collection to temporary file. Search capabilities
may be affected. Cannot load sqlite database driver."

Clicking OK brings up another error:

"Could not setup the data required for the documentation viewer. Only
help texts in the Command Window will be available."

Basic functionality seemed to be there and I could define a couple
arrays and do a "Hello, World" test. Unfortunately, it sort of
degenerated from this point (not Octave's fault though). I tried
installing Python from the Windows store but it failed with and error.
"Code: 0x80070005" was all it said.

--
"Don't be lazy. Do the thing. Do it properly."  - Simone Giertz