Re: Octave should create a forum

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave should create a forum
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 16:02:31 -0800

For my part, I often do prefer modern forums like Discourse to mailing
lists.

> It is worth pointing out that this is a mailing list, not a forum. Nabble
> is not the host of this mailing list, it merely archives it and provides a
> user interface for those not wanting to use email to interact with the
> group.

Right, nabble is just a shoddy front end for the mailing lists, it's
preferable to use the mailing lists directly.

> Forums can be useful. Seems half the projects I’m with use one and half use
> the other. Other than easier code and attachment hosting is the main forum
> plus. Less flexible access is a minus.  And I’m curious, is there a
> FSF-compliant forum out there worth using?

Discourse is the obvious best choice. The FSF uses it for its own
members forum, as do many other free software projects.

It's also worth mentioning that Mailman version 3 includes a web front
end that I think supports some forum-like features (but I haven't used
it).

If you really want to persuade the Octave maintainers to look into
hosting a Discourse or other forum, you should probably raise this on
the maintainers mailing list instead of the help list.

Cheers,

--
mike