imread fails with unknown datatype for Region option error

From: henryleinhos
Subject: imread fails with unknown datatype for Region option error
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 10:35:16 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I'm using octave 4.2.2 on Ubuntu 18.04, and I am having trouble loading
images using the image package and imread().

I can't seem to read any image format.  I've tried the Ubuntu octave-image
package as well as the latest from octave-forge (2.10.0) and get the same
error:

>> im = imread('mypic.jpg');
error: __magick_read__: unknown datatype for Region option
error: called from
    __imread__ at line 131 column 24
    imageIO at line 117 column 26
    imread at line 106 column 30

I have imagemagick 6.9.7.4 installed (16-bit channel depth version).

Any help would be appreciated.