Building Octave 4.4.1 on Centos 7

From: Calvin Dodge
Subject: Building Octave 4.4.1 on Centos 7
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 15:59:35 +0000

I have a couple of questions.

The Octave manual says "use a recent compiler".  Is GCC 4.8.5 deemed suitable
for Octave and packages?  I've built Octave with it, but am having trouble with
some packages.
For example, the "mpi" package fails.  When I try building it manually, it has
conflicts with the Octave header files.   Given that the most recent mpi
package is significantly older than the 4.4.1 release, does this indicate that
the mpi package hasn't been updated as Octave was, and requires an older
release, like 3.8.2?

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Calvin Dodge