Re: [Solution] Point octave to anaconda python (Mac)

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: [Solution] Point octave to anaconda python (Mac)
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 14:27:18 -0700

On 2018-08-20 02:06 PM, CdeMills wrote:
It would be *great* if someone can test all this and document it here:

https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-macOS-installation

Well, for Anaconda, things are detailed here:
https://uoa-eresearch.github.io/eresearch-cookbook/recipe/2014/11/20/conda/

So it would go as follows:

     conda create -n yourenvname python=x.x anaconda
     source activate yourenvname
     conda install -n yourenvname sympy
    octave

Regards

So which is "better"? Get the conda thing to pull in sympy? Or use pip within the conda environment?

In the conda version do you really have to activate *before* doing `conda install -n yourenvname sympy`?

I would've thought these instructions look like this:

- - - - - - - - - - -

Does this one time

get "conda"
conda create -n yourenvname python=x.x anaconda [?? link to above article for what to use for x.x]
conda install -n yourenvname sympy

Every time you want to run Octave

source activate yourenvname   [?? does it matter what directory I'm in?]
octave
pkg load symbolic
syms x