Re: pconnect function returns handshake error

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: pconnect function returns handshake error
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 07:21:26 +0200

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 09:30:18PM -0700, Prasad K wrote:
> Thanks Olaf
>
> Yes, we have done that to be exact but it gives the same error.
>
> "octave:3> conns = pconnect({"server"})
> error: handshake failed
> error: could not create command stream to server
> error: can't poll since command stream not good
> error: could not close command stream"

There was a bug in parallel-3.1.1 which could produce such an error
(maybe depending on the compiler(-version) used to compile the
package) if TLS is used (but it may be dangerous _not_ to use
TLS). This bug is fixed in the current version of parallel (3.1.2).

There could also be a configuration error. (Same version of parallel
must be at all machines, TLS must be used at all machines or at none,
TLS authentication files must be at correct positions at all
machines.)

The server has logfiles (more then one): /tmp/octave_error-.....log
which could provide further information.

If you have no success after upgrading to parallel-3.1.2, you should
submit a bug report. In this case, the logfiles of the server should
also be provided, and it could help to uncomment the lines:

// #define octave_parallel_debug_server 1
// #define octave_parallel_debug_client 1
// #define octave_parallel_debug_lib 1

in src/parallel-gnutls.h before compiling the package -- but take
care, with this lines uncommented, sensitive data will be written to
standard error and to the logfiles. (This means, among other things,
that you should mask these data before sending the files to the
mailing list.)

Olaf