Re: Calling plot() consistently crashes octave - Why?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Calling plot() consistently crashes octave - Why?
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 16:43:20 -0700

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 15:13:23 -0700, david wrote:
> After reading your suggestions, I entered the three bash commands you
> suggested.   Then I added
> gnuplot-qt using apt.     Then I reran octave exactly as earlier.    Octave
> crashed in exactly the same way.
>
> Then, I separated sin(x) from the line with the plot() call.    This
> verified that the plot() call is what made octave crash.

Some light web searching shows that others have seen the same error, and
the most likely culprit is an ATLAS or OpenBLAS library that may not be
properly compiled for your particular processor.

Octave relies on the BLAS and LAPACK libraries for many array and matrix
operations, even for functions that do not seem related to linear
algebra on the surface, like plot.

The most likely explanation for the "Illegal instruction" error is a
problem with the ATLAS or OpenBLAS packages provided by Debian or
Neptune for your distribution.

Try installing the libblas3 and liblapack3 packages, and then removing
any installed libatlas and libopenblas packages. Restart Octave and try
your example again.

--
mike