matrix with parameters

From: f.g.fornari
Subject: matrix with parameters
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2017 02:31:44 -0700 (PDT)

hello,

I'm a new user...hope you can help me getting started! (of course I've tried
to look for the answer before writing)
I need to work with a matrix with parameters, but I don't know how can I do
it (if it's possible)

is there a way to calc a determinant of a matrix with an undefined
parameter??

for example
A=[a,0;0,a]
i'd like to ask Octave to calc *det (A)*, and have as an answer *a^2*...
matrixes I'm working with are much more complex, and with more
parameters...any way to work with them?

hope you can help...
thank you all!