Scoping x and y limits simultaneously

From: Fritz Sonnichsen
Subject: Scoping x and y limits simultaneously
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2017 13:07:25 -0400

I am processing a rather large dataset and want to create and zoom various plots. I am easily able to zoom the x axis using the axis([x1 x2]) type command. However when I do this I need to re-normalize the y limits to fill the plot. At present I have a rather lengthy script that finds the min and max y values within the new range , retrieve their indices, and then divides all the y values.

However I was thinking there is a better way to do this as such:

data=load('C:address@hidden');
plot(data(:,1),data(:,2));
axis([20 30]);
ylim auto

This does not work. The "auto" mandate scopes the y across the complete range, not just the scoped down range.

Is there a way to do this without my scripts?

thanks
Fritz