Re: unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 09:23:47 -0400

On May 12, 2017 8:03 AM, "ajiten" <address@hidden> wrote:
I followed your advice & got that there is a difference in the output of
command 'pkg install -forge io'. It gives a warning message now, before the
message on 2nd line (that I obtained on running this command for the first
time):
warning: (Automatic loading of spreadsheet I/O Java classlibs failed)
For information about changes from previous versions of the io package, run
'news io'.

The output of both ' pkg list ' & ' pkg install -forge io ' is shown in the
image below:

<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4683305/pkg_list_%3B_pkg_install_-forge_io.png>

Regarding the working directory, there is a small change of one additional
item being there (620 instead of 619) when the command is being run (it
takes a long time for the command to execute). However, to locate that
seemed unnecessary given the new line of warning being issued now.

That one file should be io-2.4.7.tar.gz (or whatever it's called) appearing after having been successfully downloaded, then disappearing after install is complete. So the automatic downloading appears to work.  The pkg list image also shows that io version 2.4.7 is installed. So pkg install works.

Some warnings during install is normal, for some packages, especially on windows. This is unfortunate but is just the way the system works sometimes. an error would be different as it would stop tge unstall. This one could stem from the fact that you're reinstalling a package that has already been successfully installed.

More importantly, does the package work? Load the package and try some of the functions. (pkg load io)

Nick  J.