Re: unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 15:15:04 -0400

A bug in the Windows builds currently prevents Octave from automatically
retrieving packages from the website for installation or updates. This will
be fixed in the next Octave release. Until then, manual package installation
is necessary to update or install new packages on Windows.

Sorry, this appears to be a bit out of date.  I think it was valid for 4.2.0, and someone just updated the numbers on the page to 4.2.1 without noting that the bug was fixed in that version. Note that from some discussion on the help list it seems the bug will still persist for anyone running Windows XP.

---So, it means that the issue is still there and only the packaging has
solved the issue. If I need to download something in future, then I will
face the same issue presumably again!
So, the command :  "pkg install -forge io"  will not work again. I tried the
same, & octave after a long duration responded:
"For information about changes from previous versions of the io package, run
'news io'."

This should mean it downloaded and installed the latest version.  I just tried (using 4.2.1 on Windows 7) and it gave the same message.

On running : "news io", the newest version is stated to be : io-2.4.7, while
mine is : io-2.4.5.

what does

>> pkg list

 say?  I ran it and it gave the same message and upgraded me from 2.4.5 to 2.4.7