Re: property options for text, others

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: property options for text, others
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 10:27:04 -0800 (PST)

NJank wrote
> some functions such as TEXT (and most of the ones listed under text's
> 'see also') mention in the help that:
> "Optional property/value pairs may be used to control the appearance
> of the text."
>
> but there is no reference to where one would find a list of valid
> property/value pairs.
>
> after a little searching, I did find this page in the documentation:
> Top : Plotting : Graphics Data Structures : Graphics Object Properties
> : Text Properties
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Text-Properties.html#Text-Properties
>
> Is there a useful way to include that information in the help text for
> those functions? A link or "use doc _text-properties_ to see the
> options" or something would work, but I couldn't seem to find a simple
> "doc ___" command that would take you to that node in the manual.  Is
> there one?
>
> Nick J.

Hi,

If you are using Octave without the GUI then "doc ('text properties')"
should display the doc you mentioned through the "info" program. It is even
possible to display a given property of using e.g. "doc ('text fontsize')".
Unfortunately the doc browser of the GUI can't currently do that (see this
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44202).
In order to have a list of all writable properties (which is often enough
since most property names are self explanatory) use the "set" function with
one argument:

h = text ();
set (h)

Hope this helps,