Detected XLS interfaces: error: '__chk_java_sprt__' undefined

From: Lord Kelvin
Subject: Detected XLS interfaces: error: '__chk_java_sprt__' undefined
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 04:47:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi to everyone. I am using Octave Windows version.

I am trying to use A = xlsread('READINGS.xls');

I installed the IO package from Forge io-2.4.5.tar;

Unluckily, I am getting the following error:
Detected XLS interfaces: error: '__chk_java_sprt__' undefined near line 114
column 19 error: called from
getxlsinterfaces at line 114 column 17
xlsopen at line 262 column 17
xlsread at line 197 column 11

My system:
Octave vers 4.0.3
Win7 professional 64bit
Java 8 update 45

Does someone have any advice or suggestion of the error's meaning and how to
solve it please?
Really appreciated.

M.