Re: Plotting: is this a bug?

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: Plotting: is this a bug?
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 13:32:29 -0700 (PDT)

The line of interest of your script is

set(gca,'ytickmode','manual','ytick',[]);

and admittedly, the documentation what "ytickmode" excactly does [1] is left
to the user to find out. My understanding of "ytick" is that you have to
provide an nonempty vector with y-values you want to see on the y-axis. And
in case you provide such an nonempty vector, "ytickmode" is set to manual
anyway. This you can see, if you replace your line, by these ones:

>> set(gca,'ytick',[-3:2]);
>> sgca=get(gca);
>> sgca.ytickmode

ans = manual

>> sgca.ylim
ans =

  -3   2

For my understanding the confusion arises, that you want to set something
manually, but don't tell Octave what you want to display manually. And all
you received are stale ylim values from the time prior to calling your line.

To sum up: provide y-tick values and I don't expect this to be a bug.

HTH, Kai

[1]
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.0.3/Axes-Properties.html#Axes-Properties